Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wilton Course 3: Gum Paste and Fondant (January 2012)

 Class 1: 50/50 gum paste/fondant bow

 Class 2: Gum paste carnation, rose, calla lily and leaves

 Class 3: Gum paste mum and daisy

Class 4: Chocolate cake filled with raspberry jam, iced with chocolate buttercream and covered with Wilton's chocolate fondant. The cake board is covered with marshmallow fondant. The bow is the one we made in the first class. The rest of the decorations are all made out of Wilton's ready-to-use rolled fondant (white and chocolate).

Lessons learned:

  • The Wilton Gum Paste and Fondant course was a lot of fun! I loved working with gum paste and fondant. It was like playing with edible Play-Doh :)
  • Gum paste flowers look so much better than the buttercream icing ones I've made so far! However, they are a lot more work, and really don't taste as good.
  • Wilton's chocolate fondant is very dry and rips very easily! Apparently other brands are better but I haven't tried them yet. 
  • I made my own marshmallow fondant to cover the cake board since I wanted to see if I could do it. It didn't work! It was good enough for covering the board, but I never would have been able to cover the cake with it. First I underestimated how much sugar I needed so it was too "soupy". Then I went overboard with the sugar so it dried up too much and wouldn't roll properly. And I probably used too much Crisco since it came out very greasy. I'll try it again and will have to follow the recipe more carefully.
  • Wilton's fondant tastes quite bad. We ended up peeling it off the cake before eating the cake. Apparently other brands are better so maybe I'll try those next time, or I'll attempt to make my own marshmallow fondant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment